The Santa Maria Council of the Knights of Columbus Number 2475 was established on April 23, 1923 at the request of Pastor N.F. Picarella of then the only parish church in Santa Maria, St. Mary of the Assumption Catholic Church.
Under the able leadership of F.J. Feeney and a number of other dedicated Catholic gentlemen, our Council was formed. Among the charter members were such names as Hayes, Oï¿½Brien, Battles, Mesquit, Donovan, Adams, Dana, and others who were or became great leaders of our community and of the Knights of Columbus.
It was a turbulent time in the history of Santa Maria shortly after the Council was established. The Ku Klux Klan was aggressively spreading its tentacles to the farthest corners of the West Coast. Santa Maria was one of the places they selected to establish a chapter. To advance their crusade they scheduled a march along Broadway down to the flag in the middle of the intersection at Main Street.
The newly formed Knights were asked by Fr. Picarella, Pastor of St Maryï¿½s to help organize a protest. The Knights "to the man" formed a line across Broadway hooked arm to arm preventing the march. This show of soldiery by the Knights was enough to detour the Ku Klux Klan as they were unable to penetrate this line. They dispersed, unable to receive enough support to start a chapter in Santa Maria.
Over the past 91 years, our Council of the Knights of Columbus has become a pillar of the community of Santa Maria, and continues along the same principles of Charity, Unity, and Fraternity in support of our Community, our Families, and our Church.